For my quick reference.
To open two files in vi/vim and edit side by side (use CTRL-W + w to switch between the files):
# vim -O foo.txt bar.txt
To open a file and automatically move the cursor to a particular line number (for example line 80)
# vi +80 ~/.ssh/known_hosts
To display line numbers along the left side of a window, type one of the following command while using vi/vim:
Here is how to cut-and-paste or copy-and-paste text using a visual selection in Vim.
Cut and paste:
- Position the cursor where you want to begin cutting.
- Press v to select characters (or uppercase V to select whole lines).
- Move the cursor to the end of what you want to cut.
- Press d to cut (or y to copy).
- Move to where you would like to paste.
- Press P to paste before the cursor, or p to paste after.
Copy and paste is performed with the same steps except for step 4 where you would press y instead of d:
- d = delete = cut
- y = yank = copy